Oranmore Castle

The Castle was built sometime around the fifteenth century. Oranmore Castle was the stronghold of the Clanricards, a prominent Norman family, was then surrendered to parliamentary forces in 1651, and was leased to Walter Blake of Drumacrina in1666 and held by that family until 1853.  The castle is presently owned by Commander William King, his daughter Leoni and her husband Alec Finn of De Danaan, Commander King served on three submarines during World War II The HMS Snapper, HMS Trusty and HMS Telemachus and was awarded seven medals for his bravery during his service. Commander King was a prolific writer and is probably also best remembered for his successful solo circumnavigation of the globe which was completed in 1973.

Designator: 
EI001/C
Castle Name: 
Oranmore Castle
Date of Activation: 
17/03/2009
Callsign: 
EI8DRB/P
Comment: 
Co. Galway

King John's Castle, Carlingford

Dundalk Amateur Radio Society, will be activating King Johns Castle, Carlingford, Co Louth. On Sat / Sunday, 29 / 30th May 2010.

Castle Number EI-006-C

WAI Square  J11  Louth

 
MH Locator IO64VB    (very rare  EI)
 
Co ordinates 6.18 W 54.04 N

Designator: 
EI006/C
Castle Name: 
King John's Castle
Date of Activation: 
29/05/2010
Callsign: 
EI7DAR/P
Locator: 
IO64VB
WAI: 
J11
Comment: 
Co. Louth

Argillan Castle

Designator: 
EI011/C
Castle Name: 
Ardgillan Castle
Date of Activation: 
28/05/2011
Callsign: 
EI2NCR/P
Locator: 
IO63WN
WAI: 
O26

Dun Beg Fort

Donegal

Designator: 
EI002/C
Castle Name: 
Dun Beg Fort
Date of Activation: 
11/02/2009
Callsign: 
EJ/G4KPT/P

Kincasslagh Tower

               

Designator: 
EI003/C
Castle Name: 
Kincasslagh Tower
Date of Activation: 
02/11/2009
Callsign: 
EI/G4KPT/P

Dromineer Castle

Designator: 
EI004/C
Castle Name: 
Dromineer Castle
Date of Activation: 
17/03/2010
Callsign: 
EI4ALE/P
WAI: 
R88
Comment: 
Co. Tipperary

Hen's Castle


Hen's Castle or Caislean-na-Circe located on Lough Corrib between Maam and Doon. The castle was home of the great pirate Queen of Connemara, Grace O`Malley, who lived in the time of Queen Elizabeth 1 of England. The Lord Justice, in 1225, caused Odo O'Flatherty to give up Kirk Castle to Odo O'Connor, King of Connaught; for assurance of his fidelity.Caislean na Circe (built in a night by a cock and a hen according to legend) is one of the oldest mortared castles in Ireland. This Norman keep, placed in the direction of the cardinal compass points, was built early in the 12th Century by the sons of Roderick O'Connor, last High-King of Ireland, aided by their then ally, William Fitz-Adelm, the first de Burgo (later Burke). This castle which occupies almost the entire island had a troubled history, being stormed and besieged many times, not the least of which was the celebrated occasion when Grainne Mhaol (Grace O'Malley) personally defended it. It continued to be occupied as a castle until it finally succumbed to the Cromwellian soldiers in 1654. 

 

53 29 33.24 N    09 30 47.41 W

Designator: 
EI005/C
Castle Name: 
Hen's Castle
Date of Activation: 
31/07/2010
Callsign: 
EI4ALE/P
WAI: 
L95
Comment: 
Co. Galway

Ballindooley Castle

Designator: 
EI014/C
Castle Name: 
Ballindooley Castle
Date of Activation: 
28/05/2011
Callsign: 
EI4ALE/P
Locator: 
IO53LH
WAI: 
M32
Lat/Long: 
53.18.31N -09.01.42W
Comment: 
Co Galway

Kells Priory

Kells Priory was founded by Geoffrey FitzRobert in 1193. FitzRobert was brother-in-law to Strongbow and the priory succeeded an earlier church which was dedicated to St. Mary, the Blessed Virgin and served as parish church to nearby Kells village.

During its first century and a half the priory was attacked and burned on three occasions, firstly by Lord William de Bermingham in 1252, by the Scots army of Edward Bruce on Palm Sunday 1326, and by a second William de Bermingham in 1327. It seems likely then that the walls and fortifications date back to this period of unrest.

In 1324 the Bishop of Ossory Richard de Ledrede paid a lenten visit to the priory. Following an inquisition into a Kilkenny sect of heretics, Alice Kyteler and William Outlawe were ordered to appear before the Bishop to answer charges of witchcraft. Outlaw was supported by Arnold de Paor, Lord of Kells who arrested the Bishop and had him imprisoned in Kilkenny Castle for 17 days. This caused great scandal and on his release the Bishop successfully prosecuted the heretics. Alice Kyteler fled to England and remained there, Alice Smith also fled, but her mother Petronilla de Meath became Ireland's first heretic to be burned at the stake.

Dissolution of Kells Priory finally took place in March 1540 and the church and property were surrendered to James Butler, 9th Earl of Ormonde.

Designator: 
EI023/C
Castle Name: 
Kells Priory
Locator: 
IO62/C
WAI: 
S44
Comment: 
Co. Kilkenny

Slane Castle

Slane Castle is located in the town of Slane, within the Boyne Valley of County Meath. The castle is the family home of the Conyngham Marquessate since the 1700s. The present head of the Conyngham family is the seventh Marquess Conyngham, and the castle is owned by his eldest son, Henry, the present Earl of Mount Charles, continuing an active association between
the Conynghams and Slane Castle dating back to the beginning of the eighteenth century.

Designator: 
EI007/C
Castle Name: 
Slane Castle
Date of Activation: 
25/09/2010
Callsign: 
EI0Z/P
Locator: 
IO63RQ
WAI: 
N97
Comment: 
Co. Meath